Above is my Ludisia discolor, below is a cutting included in a vase creation last February.
And that same cutting now...rooted! This was actually my second go at rooting a piece of this orchid, I'd discovered quite by mistake (when I broke a piece and stuck it in water) how easy they are to root and had purposely taken these cuttings to give to a friend.
These Begonia leaves remain looking good...
From this arrangement done mid-March.
I finally pulled them out of the vase to have a look-see and whad'ya know? Roots!
This Lysimachia paridiformis var. stenophylla leaf...
Which was part of an arrangement back in early January.
Is now a plant. When I dismantled the arrangement I noticed one of the leaves had started to form roots. Instead of tossing it I stuck in the soil of one of the stock tank containers just outside the back door. I gently tugged on it ever so often and it seemed to be strongly planting itself. The other day I potted it up and discovered indeed, it's got two new shoots.
Here's what mamma looks like now...
And what she'll look like this summer when she blooms.
From a Poinsettia Challenge display in December.
Yep it also formed roots and is now potted up and looking for a home (I've got a plant swap coming up next weekend with friends, no doubt I'll have a taker). Here's the mama plant...
Are you getting bored? Sorry. It's just so darn exciting to me that new plants are making themselves while in my care. There's only a couple more, I promise.
This trio was from early March.
The rest of the bunch is long since composted, but the Brachyglottis greyi just kept on looking good.
This bit of Passiflora rovirosae never made it into an actual arrangement, it (and a couple of others) was just tucked into a vase that sat on top of the fridge for awhile. It rooted and I potted it up over the winter...
Now we'll see if I can get it to grow up and through this Trachycarpus wagneriensis, won't that be pretty
My friend Peter has had great luck rooting Begonia luxurians in water...and now I've finally had success...
Lastly I've got a nice crop of χ Fatshedera lizei ‘Annemieke’ ready to be planted out.
They'd been rooting in a vase since Mother Nature broke the top off this plant in a windstorm last winter.
So that's my no vase Monday "In a Vase" post. For those participating with an actual arrangement visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden. And Cathy...thanks for inspiring many of these propagation accidents!
All material © 2009-2016 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.