As summer began to wind down, I started thinking about how I wanted to deal with things like these succulents, planted in the base of the tall metal duct planter where the Grevillea used to be. Lift them roots and all? Or just cut off their heads and let them re-root indoors?
Well, by the time I got around to dealing with them the decision was made for me. I had a hand trowel, and some soil at the ready, but when I reached under the foliage to locate the base of the plants they just fell off in my hand, the stems had already started to rot (btw, these two photos, above and below are from early September).
After removing the rotted material a few of the stems were so short I didn't see how I could get contact with the soil to even try and root them, so I decided to just find a way to enjoy them for as long as they'd last. Thus the they've become a table top arrangement for the holiday season.
I used a few Cryptomeria branches (from the wreath making adventure) as a base and just laid the succulents on top.
Some of my tiny vintage ornaments ended up filling what are technically votive holders.
Andrew decided a red one needed to decorate the center Echeveria, to make it more "festive". It's a nice change up from the Poinsettia centerpiece I've been doing the last few Christmases...
Weather Diary, Dec 12: Hi 51, Low 41/ Precip .02"
All material © 2009-2018 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.