This photo was taken back in early September, when it was warmer, much warmer
For years these two dish planters were planted with Adiantum venustum (Himalayan maidenhair fern) and Athyrium niponicum (Japanese painted fern). However, at some point last summer I'd allowed them to get too dry and the one on the left died back completely, while the one on the right lost the painted fern and parts of the maidenhair fern.
I replanted the dead (and thus empty) one with a combination of Asplenium scolopendrium (hart's-tongue fern), Asplenium trichomanes (maidenhair spleenwort) and some Saxifraga 'Primuloides' from elsewhere in the garden. They've grown quite a bit in a short time.
Here's the bottom of one of the Asplenium scolopendrium fronds. From the Missouri Botanic Garden website I learned..."Sori are arranged on the frond undersides in rows that purportedly resemble the many legs of a centipede (skolopenda meaning centipede in Greek)." Who knew?
Once I took the various tillandisas out of these containers (into the house, due to cold) I was left with this. The one on the left looks fine, but...
The one on the right is not attractive.
I pulled the maidenhair fern out and chopped it into smaller pieces that I'll plant around the garden.
Then I replanted the dish (note: opportunity to buy new plants!) with these...
There's an Asplenium scolopendrium, an Adiantum x tracyi (a naturally occurring cross between Western Maidenhair (A. aleuticum) and the California Fan Maidenhair (A. jordanii)), and a Cyclamen hederifolium, along with more saxifraga.
When I pulled the cyclamen out of it's container I was surprised to find the stems circling around and around.
As a result, they flop over the edges of the planting dish. I'm hoping they'll eventually face upright.
Weather Diary, Oct 6: Hi 71, Low 43/ Precip 0
All material © 2009-2019 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.