I was so excited to make my Opuntia Christmas tree that I may have jumped the gun. I built it on November 29th, which meant it spent a full 4 weeks indoors before being taken down.
Early on I replaced a couple of pads that showed signs of rot, but eventually more of them started to turn. Luckily they were mostly one side only, so I was able to hide them.
This was the worst, shriveling up and showing the wire frame work underneath.
Here's the final count after deconstruction: 25 solid pads to plant up and try to root, then plant out somewhere (that means about 15 of them had gone bad). Since I have no idea if these pads are from a hardy Opuntia perhaps there's another project in my future. One that won't have these going in the ground. Hmmm....we'll see.
Weather Diary, Jan 2: Hi 44, Low 30/ Precip 0
Wednesday Vignettes are hosted by Anna at Flutter & Hum. All material © 2009-2018 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.