Last week I put together an arrangement using Floral Soil, a natural alternative to oasis (that green gunk florists used for years to keep their stems upright). This week I thought I'd try an old fashioned alternative — chicken wire. I used the same low, wide, vase...
And crumpled the wire up and shoved it inside.
The Hibscus needed a little trimming (there is a window back there, somewhere) so I used the tips with flowers in the vase.
The wire kept the stems where I placed them, the only drawback being catching the cut-up ends on the wire and having to work to "wiggle" them further in. Why were the ends cut-up? Anytime I stick a woody-stem in water I make a few vertical cuts up into the stem, hoping it will help it to take up the water.
Other bits in the vase include Pennisetum purpureum 'Vertigo'...
χ Fatshedera lizei ‘Annemieke’ and an inherited Clematis montana.
The vase went back on the mantle, because once you've claimed a bit of space you don't want to give it up.
I cut three stems of the "grass" for the pointy tips, but didn't want to waste anything so bent the lower pieces into sort of loops and tucked them in.
The new growth on the Clematis picks up the color scheme nicely.
I declare the chicken wire test successful!
Visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden for links to all the Monday Vases...
Weather Diary, Aug 20: Hi 81, Low 56/ Precip 0
All material © 2009-2017 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.