Why? As the neighbors laurel re-grew (it had been cut back hard in order to build a fence) it reached east towards the sun, out and over our patio. This caused the bamboo to grow out at an angle as well. We trimmed several of the larger laurel branches last summer, which helped, but it’s still an issue. Plus during our (usually) dry summers the bamboo needs water, a lot of it. I bought a short hose extension last summer which makes it a little easier to get the hose out there and let it run (as opposed to standing as close as I could with the spray nozzle aimed in that direction watching about 70% of the water actually make it into the tank). Ultimately the bamboo looks stressed an unhappy more often than I would like…which is why I had decided, no more! Nevertheless standing on the patio looking at the back of the neighbors intimidating two-tone garage my first notion was “we need another long stock-tank and more bamboo…”
So, talk some sense into me! What do you think? Here are some more random thoughts on the matter…
- continuing the tanks and bamboo will create consistency between the area next to the patio and the “new” area to the north.
- tall bamboo will provide an almost instant block for the part of the new view I find the most troublesome.
- maybe it’s good to have the “status quo” stop with the patio pavers?
- continuing a planting scheme I’ve admitted to, at times, regretting.
- we’ve already got 11 stock-tanks…and I’m planning to add least one more for a full-sun water garden (tadpoles!), how many is too many?
I've also considered getting another of the shorter tanks, like below, and putting in something else (thus continuing the tank-theme, but not the bamboo-theme). However that wouldn’t necessarily help with the garage view would it?
Oh and are you surprised I haven’t mentioned the snow? What about the crazy wind blowing the bamboo almost horizontal at times? It had just started falling when I took these pictures at about 1:30 on Thursday afternoon. At 19F the wind-chill had it down to a “feels like” temperature of 3F. Bitter cold and the snow was just getting started, by 5:30 several inches had fallen. Another storm is due through here tomorrow. Fun times ahead!
So back to the question…to bamboo or not to bamboo. What say you?
All material © 2009-2014 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.