Here's a shot of my growing collection, hanging on our south-side fence.
My interest in this experiment began with these pieces of metal and wood. The metal came from the Rebuilding Center and reminded me of other circular metal wall planters I have, some of which show up in my "BBC Steel, where are they now" blog post.
The wooden pieces I've been accumulating from walks by the river. This one feels like it was made from clay, with all those nubby bits.
This one just screamed to have a plant perched in its bend.
So here's a closer look at how I used those assorted pieces along with a few bromeliads I'd been collecting. Starting on the far left and working to the right...
Wait, first I must say, it's so frustrating when you make something you're really excited about, but the photo doesn't do it justice. Since these pieces only get dramatic morning and afternoon light they're nearly impossible to photograph well. I should have taken photos of each one before I hung them up. Live and learn.
This first creation includes a pair of Vriesea saundersii along with a smaller, bright green, "bromeliad asst"—the helpful label most bromeliads come with when you buy them at a local nursery. The colorful banding on the green one is more pronounced on the bottom side of the leaves. A fact I seem to have forgotten when I placed it at such a dramatic angle.
I kept a nice healthy bit of soil attached to the roots of the plants and wrapped it in sheet moss, which I then connected to the wood with fishing line.
Then I tucked in a few tillandsia for good measure.
The next experiment went in the smaller of the two metal rounds (duct caps, I believe).
Another "bromeliad asst" is joined by a cryptanthus, perhaps C. 'Black Mystic', but I can't say for sure. I used more fishing line to secure the moss and soil behind a gnarly piece of wood. Trust me, the wood accent looks so much better in person!
The larger metal piece contains a "bromeliad asst" trio, along with a few tillandsia and the nubby piece of wood which I broke into smaller pieces. I really do wish I had the time to research the actual names of these plants...it's frustrating not knowing.
If you're wondering how these will hold up long-term, so am I! That's why I'm calling it an experiment.
Moving onto this stripy Vriesea splendens which is perched on the piece of wood with the nice bend.
I did buy it with the bloom spike already in place. No signs of offsets yet, I'll be watching with interest however as the last one I had of this species sent out its baby in the center of the dying plant, not to the side, like normal.
In the soil and moss at its base I tucked in a Cryptanthus 'Black Mystic', so many stripes!
It's an offset from a larger plant in the house...
There's a second, unknown, cryptanthus tucked in on the other side.
I skipped over the larger planter labeled DANGER, to the left of the stripy guy, as I've written about it in the past and that bromeliad is just tucked into the planter, not mounted.
This beautiful "conglomeration" (fun word) was one of my acquisitions from the sale at Dick's greenhouse.
It helped get this whole experiment rolling, since I love how it looks hanging on the fence.
Circles, circles everywhere!
The final experiment for today is this small wavy asplenium and a colorful cryptanthus...
I used the same method for securing the fern's root ball and soil.
It will be interesting to see how this combo does together, keeping the fern moist is going to be a challenge.
Scanning back to the left...
Oh wait, there is one more—very small—experiment. I picked up another Lemmaphyllum microphyllum (bean fern) at the Pat Calvert Greenhouse in Seattle during a July visit. Then I found this small piece of driftwood for 50-cents at the Cactus and Succulent Society show and sale at Portland Nursery. The driftwood had a perfect little planting pocket. It's a match made in heaven...
Yes, I'm having fun.
┅ ┅ ┅
Weather Diary, Aug 8: Hi 71, Low 64/ Precip 0
All material © 2009-2019 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.