As you may have read earlier, this was the year Andrew wanted to up his game for the Shade Pavilion Greenhouse (SPG). He started sketching early, but then things kinda stalled. When you're inventing a new system there are bound to be hiccups along the way. Here's where we were on October 16th.
The double wall polycarbonate panels look so sleek, like glass! Such a step up from the corrugated panels we've been using (shown here), which were a huge step up from the sheets of plastic we started with (shown here).
Andrew cut all new wood pieces, which still work within the existing structure (he just removes a bolt and slides the 2x4 into place and re-bolts), and I painted them all. That's an improvement as well, both for longevity and looks, no more bare wood.
The metal pieces are attached to the wood and the polycarbonate panels slide into a side channel and are joined together.
Much nicer than the duct tape we used in the past.
Andrew even found a metal piece for the corner.
Since the existing metal roof provides structure...
The roof panels are only to keep the rain out and the warmth in.
Fitting around the fifth post at the back of the structure has always added complexity, but Andrew managed to make it look elegant.
In addition to the bonus of extra insulating capabilities from the double wall panels the new design features two doors— one on each end—rather than the single door I've been using for years.
Double doors provide needed air-flow and accessibility. Here Andrew was working on exactly how to attach them.
At the bottom we still needed a way to seal the gap between the wood base and the gravel/pavers. Doubled up pieces of pipe insulation were perfect.
Andrew tucked thinner pieces of insulation around the top of the walls too, where the sides and top meet.
Storing the full length 2x4's had always been an issue in the "off season", this year Andrew came up with a method where the full length is obtained by joining two shorter pieces together. You can faintly see the outline of two sideways "L" shapes, pinned together by bolts.
The finished SPG 3.0 was loaded up with plants on November 1st, our rainiest weekend to date this fall.
Unfortunately we ran out of time to paint the wooden door edges, that's a project for next year.
As is the creation of more elegant shelving. Andrew has a design ready to go, but the time to build it just wasn't there.
But we discovered a problem. The materials used for the sides aren't completely water-tight when used as a roof. Intense rainfall allowed a little moisture to get onto the polycarbonate roof under the metal roof, and water dripped down in the places where the panels fit into the metal channels.
Since the primary purpose of this structure is to keep the plants dry, that wasn't acceptable. Naturally Andrew came up with an elegant solution, which works wonderfully.
This a great photo for showing the metal tape which we were told to use at one end of each panel to keep out creatures, dust and moisture. The other end (when it's a wall) gets a permeable membrane tape, which does the same, but also allows in a little air.
The new panels act as a rain-sheild and keep water off the roof.
Happy plants once again! Still no freeze in my garden though, so things aren't buttoned up against the cold, yet...
Weather Diary, Nov 25: Hi 50, Low 36/ Precip trace
All material © 2009-2018 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.